Monday, January 21, 2008

1st Day @ Work

Yeah, finally I’m not categorised as an UNEMPLOYED. Reported for 1st day of work today!

I’d been posted Dolphin Lagoon for today & tomorrow. My reporting time supposed to be 9am, but I arrived at the workplace at 8.30am. 1st day, can’t afford to be late, so to be safe, I came early.

As I’d been warned that it’ll be scorching hot most of the time at dolphin lagoon, I had myself prepared - sunscreen SPF 30 for body, SPF 50 for face & my cap. I’m thinking of getting a pair of shades too. My co-Guest Service Officers (GSOs) colleagues I met today are great! They showed & taught me the duties to be done at Dolphin Lagoon.

A typical day at Dolphin Lagoon goes like this:

1) 9am: Reporting for work & get keys from key press

- Punch in one’s time card. Get key to key press from security room. Retrieve required keys from key press. Prior to Swim With Dolphins (SWD), we have to open up the shower facilities. Wash the 2 gigantic wash basins, fill both of them up with water & add a capful of Dettol disinfectant to 1 of them. Prepare the required number of drawing paper on clipboards & paint buckets filled with some paint.

2) 9.30am to 10.30am: Swim With Dolphins (SWD) Programme

- Assist participants in paperwork. Get participants ready in life jackets & booties. Have them seated for briefing. During the programme, we have to wait for the cue to hand them the drawing paper & paint for which the dolphins will use to paint with. Thereafter, we collect the paintings & leave it on the platform to dry. When the programme ends, we collect the paintings & lead the participants back to the shower facilities to get changed.

3) Show sessions at 11am, 1.30pm, 3.30pm & 5.30pm

-Prior to each show, we have to do ushering at the entrance as always. Tearing off ticket stubs & guiding the guests. When the crowd is in, we have to do crowd control at the seating area before, during & after each show. Each show lasts around 20 mins.

4) Interaction with Dolphin Session After Show

- Split the crowd according to the dolphin’s name indication on the required coupon that have been purchased. Get the crowd seated. Brief them on the interaction procedure & safety instructions. Thereafter, we perform a 6-step demonstration with the dolphin on the photo-taking procedure.

5) Returning of equipment back into their original places

- Making sure that all disinfectant bottles r kept back in the storage hut, the used life jackets & booties are cleaned & hung in the right places. Lock up the shower facilities. Switch off the air-conditioner & lights in the GSO container. Lock up GSO container & return all keys to the key press. Punch out one’s time card & evacuate from the place by 6.30pm.


There. & that’s only my duties at Dolphin Lagoon. I have another set of duties at Underwater World. As for that, I’ll only find out on this Wednesday, the very 1st day I’m posted there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home